When trying to save a W-2 form with our Laser Link and TFP Tax Software, and you encounter the error message "Kind of Payer and Kind of Employer are required".
This occurs due to the fact that the Payer information is missing the Kind of Payer and Kind of Employer information in the company information.
To resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.
- On the top menu bar select Payers & Recipients then Manage Payers & Recipients
- On the Manage Payers and Recipients Screen select the Payer (The Payer will be highlighted in BLUE after selected.
- On the top right of the Manage Payers and Recipient Screen click on the View / Edit Button as shown in the image.
- In the Edit Payer/Company Screen use the drop down box next to the Kind of Payer and Kind of Employer fields to select the correct choice for your company.
Note: These fields CANNOT be left blank if you are creating W-2 with this payer.
- Once the correct information is selected select the SAVE button.
Kind of Payer for Form W-2 and W-3
- 941 - Employer's QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return
- 944 - Employer's ANNUAL Federal Tax Return
- 943 - Employer's Annual Tax Return for Agricultural Employees, and you file Form W-2 for agricultural employees.
- Military - You are a military employer and you file Form W-2 for members of the uniformed services
- CT-1 – You are a railroad employer and you file Form W-2 for employees covered under the Railroad Retirement Tax Act (RRTA)
- Household employee - You are a household employer, you file Form W-2 for household employees, and you do not include the household employees' taxes on Form 941 or Form 943
- Medicare government employee - You are a U.S., state, or local agency and you file Form W-2 for employee’s subject only to the 1.45% Medicare tax
Kind of Employer:
- None Apply
- 501c non-govt
- State/local non-501c
- State/local 501c
- Federal govt