Checklist for Trouble Shooting
If you are receiving an error message or unable to install your software please be sure to:
Microsoft Windows is up to Date:
- Control Panel
- System and Security
- Windows Update
System Requirements: https://support.custsupp.com/hc/en-us/articles/210240026-Software-Requirements
Turn off Anti-Virus Program - see PDF
- Installation MUST be performed by Admin User.
- If the Software Detects that .NET Framework version 4.6.1. is not installed:
- Software can only be installed on your local computers hard drive (not compatible network drives, servers, or virtual machines) as a Local user
- Software can only be installed on Windows 10 or 11 PC (not compatible with MAC or Linux)
(Note: As of May 1, 2020 due to security reasons we will no longer support Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 E-filing)
- MAC users no software needed: You are able to efile for the current tax filing year on one of our efile sites, Taxright.efile1.com or if you have efile with us in the past log into the efile account. Need more information submit a help request.
- If the Software Installation Wizard Freezes During the Initialization of the Setup. It could be trying to update please wait for the update to finish - If this did not work - Please Restart the computer Once and retry the installation.
- If you are getting a database error "file is not a database" - This happens when you use the back up file "DbBackup" from the prior year, example 2021 software to import into your 2022 software. You must have the Prior Year software Installed if you are importing you data from 2021 to 2022.
Click on the Link below for instruction to fix this error:
- Turn off User Account Control Settings -
- Control Panel
- User Account
- Change User Account Control Settings - Never notify
- You will need to reboot your computer after you change the settings
- Turn off Team Viewer if it is running
- After these are off right-click Windows start button and click on Run type, then type services.msc and click OK and look through and turn off any anti-virus services that are running in the background.
How to – Disable your Antivirus Software / Firewall Temporarily
If you are not able to install the software program/having difficulty installing updates or cannot connect to e-file website, your anti-virus software or firewall that you are running may be blocking TaxRight/TFP20.xx/Laser Link/Laser Link XL/ACA software program from installing. It may be necessary for you to temporarily disable your firewall or anti-virus software to:
- Determine if this is what is causing the installation issues, and
- To connect to download the updates, etc.
Located on the Window Taskbar next to the clock in the lower right corner it will show the Firewalls and anti-virus software that are running on your computer. Most programs will allow you to right click on the icon and select 'Turn Off', or 'Disable'. If you do not see this option you will need to open the firewall or anti-virus software and disable it.
Note: If you need additional detailed instructions on how to disable or turn off a specific firewall or anti-virus software, we highly suggest you contact the anti-virus software company directly or your IT department for further assistance.
After you have installed the TaxRight/TFP20.xx/Laser Link/Laser Link XL/ACA software program we suggest you Enable the anti-virus again and set your UAC settings back to original setting.
For other Anti-Virus Software and How to Disable see the PDF:
If you installed the software; however, you do not see the software icon on the desktop.
(Note: As of May 1, 2020 due to security reasons we will no longer support Windows 7, 8, or 8.1)