Creating a W-2C or W-3C

(All images in Support Article contain fictitious data - Test Purposes Only)

How to Create W2C or W3C:

1) Select Tax Forms from menu and then select W-2C.

NOTE:  W-2C and W-3C are available in Laser Link Only pre-printed forms - laser generated not supported  



2) Select a company in Company/Payer section.

3) Select employee in Recipient/Payee section

A)  If correcting the employees SSN:

1)  Check the box in section e

2)  Enter the correct SSN in section d

3)  Enter the previously reported SSN in section f

4)  Click Save.


B)  If correcting the employees’ name:

1)  Check the box in section e

2)  Enter the previously reported name in section g

3)  Enter the correct name in section h

4)  Click Save


C) If correcting incorrect amounts reported:

1)  Click on Federal Data  tab

2)  Fill in data previously reported in column A

3)  Fill in correct data in column B

4)  Click SAVE


8)  Select other employees and repeat these steps 2 through 7 if needed

9)  Select TAX FORMS from menu and then select W-3C



10) Select tax year on the top left corner to view transferred data from W2C(s).


11) Select YES or NO at the bottom of the form, depending if you’re corrections made adjustments to previously filed tax returns. If clicking Yes, enter the date you previously filed below

12) Click SAVE

13) Go to Tax Forms Printing for printing instructions


Additional related information:

Can I E-File a W-2C  if I originally paper filed? (See Support Article link below)

How to correct W2 W3 W2C W3C

Specific Instructions of how to File W-2C/W-3C for Certain Circumstances:

Correcting an incorrect tax year and/or EIN incorrectly reported on Form W-2 or Form W-3. To correct an incorrect tax year and/or EIN on a previously submitted Form W-2 or Form W-3

You must prepare two sets of Forms W-2c and W-3c.

Prepare one Form W-3c along with a Form W-2c for each affected employee. On the Form W-3c, enter the incorrect tax year in box a, and the incorrect EIN originally reported in box h.

Enter in the “Previously reported” boxes the money amounts that were on the original Form W-2. In the “Correct information” boxes, enter zeros.

Prepare a second Form W-3c along with a second Form W-2c for each affected employee. On the Form W-3c, enter the correct tax year in box a and/or the correct EIN in box e. Enter zeros in the “Previously reported” boxes, and enter the correct money amounts in the “Correct information” boxes.

If the original W-2 Recipient's SSN is left blank, all Zero, or states "Applied for" The Payer cannot submit a W-2C.  

The Payer must contact the SSA at 1-800-772-6270 for instructions on how to submit correction for the recipients.

Employee's incorrect address on Form W-2. If you filed a Form W-2 with the SSA that reported an incorrect address for the employee, but all other information on the Form W-2 was correct, do not file Form W-2c with the SSA merely to correct the address.

However, if the address was incorrect on the Form W-2 furnished to the employee, you must do one of the following.

Issue a new, corrected Form W-2 to the employee that includes the new address. Indicate “REISSUED STATEMENT” on the new copies. Do not send Copy A of Form W-2 to the SSA.
Issue a Form W-2c to the employee that shows the correct address in box i and all other correct information.

Do not send Copy A of Form W-2C to the SSA.
Reissue the Form W-2 with the incorrect address to the employee in an envelope showing the correct address or otherwise deliver it to the employee.


Retrieved from: pg 25

rev 05/09/2019

Powered by Zendesk